Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church in Brownsville, Maryland, welcomes you to join us for worship, outreach, and community events.
St Luke’s was founded in 1837 as one of four churches in St. Mark’s parish, based in Petersville, MD.
The church was used as a Confederate military headquarters and hospital during the Civil War. It was burned by the Union Army and later restored by efforts of the laity.
The church is surrounded on three sides by Saint Luke's Cemetery. The oldest grave is that of Alexander Grim, who gave the land for the church. He was born in 1777. His wife lies next to him. In addition, during the construction of MD route 67, an unmarked grave was uncovered at the base of the hill on which the church sits. Whether the dead were slaves or Civil War soldiers is unknown; their remains were re-buried in our cemetery and a marker placed for them.
One of our pastors, Edward Trail Helfenstein, later became the 8th Bishop of Maryland (1926-43).
Burgess Memorial Parish Hall, named for a former pastor, was built in 1957. It serves as a meeting place for Christian Education and fellowship activities.